On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Stas Malyshev <smalys...@sugarcrm.com>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > There was a discussion recently on IRC that our current git working
> > process is not perfect (especially about keeping one branch-only
> > bugfixes) so that's a
>
> One thing with discussions on IRC is that nobody except those present
> there can neither participate nor know what was talked about. And since
> we have timezone differences and other stuff going on in our lives, that
> means, on my estimate, a substantial percentage of the people here
> wouldn't know anything about what was discussed. Thus, it would be
> useful to explain what exactly is the problem we are talking about.

+1

> > If you're not yet familiar what is that, please read
> > his wonderful article
> http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
> > another wonderful article about the gitflow tool
> > http://jeffkreeftmeijer.com/2010/why-arent-you-using-git-flow/
>
> This is a nice process, however I'm not sure how it could apply to PHP.
> Could you outline what will be done in this case when we have:
> 1. A bugfix for 5.3
> 2. A bugfix for 5.4
> 3. A feature addition for 5.4
> 4. A release of 5.3.x
> 5. A release of 5.4.x
> 6. A release of 5.5 and 5.5.x
>
> Also, what would happen if bugfix/feature is contributed via github pull?

I'm also a strong proponent of NVIE's branching model.  We'd probably have
to modify it to suit PHP's exact needs, but in principle I very much
advocate it as it actually takes full advantage of Git's branching
strengths over Subversion.

> > Personally, I see migration from current setup that way so each
> > release branch (PHP-5.3, PHP-5.4 and master) becomes a separate
> > repository with adopted gitflow model (although it should be thought
> > through more carefully).
> > What do you think about that?
>
> I do not think it makes sense to keep the code in separate repos, given
> that about 90% of the code is the same. It also will make much harder to
> accept outside contribution - I'm not sure how easy would it be to merge
> a patch into three repos from one pull req.

Agreed.  Breaking PHP into separate repos would carry a lot of implications
that make me uneasy.  Instead, I think it would be better to modify the
NVIE workflow model to "bridge" the two branches (basically, it would be
like linking 2 "develop" and 2 "master" branches somehow) in parallel on
the same repo.