Ralph, you make good points. And Luke's opposition to my new keyword
is probably going to be shared by others (like Chris who just chimed
in).

So the more I think about it, the more a set of constants that can be
OR'd together is a better idea than my associative array proposal. And
it's best to keep the original four keywords, adding the second,
optional parameter as a way of passing a combination of flags that
alter their behavior.

Also that set of bits could include the 'once' and 'warning' flags, so
if you really want to just use the 'require' keyword and determine
dynamically which behavior you get, you can. So there are no new
keywords needed.

Also, the presence of any bit that is not recognized by this version
of PHP should be an error. It's better to stop than to completely
misparse a file (:

I don't think long-ish constants are a real problem since this
functionality would very likely be written just a few times in
autoloaders (as is typical in almost any project that would be
interested in .phpc files in the first place) rather than repeatedly
all over the place in every file (as with old-fashioned uses of
'require', and various templating situations).

I will revise the RFC shortly.

Tom Boutell
P'unk Avenue
215 755 1330