On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Sherif Ramadan <theanomaly...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > On 04/17/2012 11:41 AM, Kris Craig wrote:
> >>

> >> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:57 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.com
> >> <mailto:ras...@lerdorf.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     Number of posts to internals since Jan.1,2012 (top 15):
> >>
> >>     [kris.cr...@gmail.com <mailto:kris.cr...@gmail.com>]        => 249
> >>

> >> Wooot!  What's my prize?  ;P
> >>
> >> Now I just need to start getting some commits in there....
> >
> > Kris, this was actually the point of that email. You are extremely busy
> > on this list and while I appreciate the enthusiasm, it would be good if
> > you could try to refrain from commenting on every single thread multiple
> > times every day. Let it sit for a while, see what everyone has to say
> > and write a single message with your thoughts.
> >

> Rasmus makes an excellent point here, and I think Saun also makes this
> very telling statement...
>
> > Ignoring entire threads is a horrible thing for PHP's most valuable
> contributors
> > to be doing, but I bet very few of the main committers in the list
> Rasmus posted
> > have actually read all of the messages in all of the threads, lately.
>
> I've tread conveying this same point in my brief response to Kris'
> thread by stating that I thought the RFC should then be revised in
> order to alleviate much of the confusion that seemed to resonate
> around this thread. I agree with Kris that this is a "two-way street",
> but I have no illusions that one side was more at fault than the
> other.
>
> This is simply a matter of either be the first to take action and show
> initiative and ownership of the situation in order to take control, or
> cease to become a part of the solution and ultimately amalgamate with
> the problem.
>
> Kriss, you no doubt have passion. I believe I'm not alone in saying
> that I would like to see you focus this passion into efforts that will
> produce more fruitful and constructive results. Some times letting
> nonconstructive criticism go isn't the same thing as "simply lie back
> and give-up when things get tough", as you put it. Remember the
> proverb "less is more"...
>
> It takes a stronger person to be able to tolerate harsh criticism
> (even if there is any merit to it) and simply redirect their
> frustration into productivity and delivering better results, rather
> than those who simply deliver on yet even more harsh criticism.
>
> Kriss, I respect you, I appreciate your dedication and I only wish you
> the best. Mind you I would never wish something upon someone that I do
> not already wish upon myself. I want to see us all succeed and there
> should be no reason why I'd be pleased with seeing anyone fail.
> Remember that your success only contributes to my success and the
> success of PHP's community collectively.
>
> I hope these words help you in refining your efforts and lead you to
> better results.
>
> --

I appreciate the kind words.  However, the fact that the RFC is in an
initial draft does not excuse repeating things that have been covered
already on the topic.  I wanted to wait on updating the RFC until there was
a chance to discuss some of the methodologies available.  I think we've
pretty well covered that, and now it's just a matter of me finding the time
to update it during a work week.  =)

But yes producing more than just words is one of my goals.  I recently
moved to Seattle and my old system was fried, so just this past weekend I
finally got my new system built and am still in the process of setting
everything up for a suitable dev/hosting environment.  For example, I'd
planned to have my approved apxs RFC implemented over a month ago, but I've
been hit with one delay after another over here.

I'll try to reduce the noise by cutting down on less necessary responses to
other threads.  But as far as the RFC thread goes, it might be prudent for
us to find a way to fork lively RFC discussions onto another medium,
whether it be a separate list, some sort of chat environment, etc.  I
really don't want to discourage people from going all-out in RFC debates
(provided that they at least read before posting), so I think it would be
good to brainstorm some ideas on that, because even if you eliminate
redundancy and verbosity, controversial RFCs will always carry with them a
flood of emails.  So having a way to move the conversation aside while
still keeping it publicly accessible and reviewable I think would be a
worthwhile topic to discuss.

--Kriss [sic; it's actually Kris lol  ;p]