Am 12.11.2012 15:48, schrieb Antony Dovgal:
On 2012-11-12 18:15, Adam Harvey wrote:
I don't think the documentation is necessarily effective here,
particularly with functions that users tend to know by heart
<skip>
I'm not really convinced the average user ever looks at the manual for
things they know, truth be told.

Well, I'd expect people actively developing applications in PHP to use
the docs from time to time.
But my concern is for people using legacy apps.
True, they might not use the docs at all and the only warning they'll
get when they do
their usual PHP upgrade is error logs stuffed full of E_DEPRECATED.
So what is they going to do in that case? Disable the notice, of course.

Don't bother. There is a standard way of deprecation, at least I assume there is. Its proven. Use it: docs warnings, E_DEPRECATED, remove.

Ulf