Many thanks for the feedback.

I would love see some JIT features added to the core as this would help to
improve the overall performance.

Sara,

I like your extension idea as this would not require any changes to the
core.

Here's another idea:
-----------------------------------
1. Modify PHP core to cache opcodes on first request
2. Create external program (or library) that can be scheduled to compile
cached opcodes to native code when necessary. This can be scheduled as a
cron job
3. PHP will then run either the cached opcodes or the compiles codes when
the page is request a second time.

In this solution you get bets of both worlds. PHP can execute opcode cache
or  native code if it's available. There would be no need for the core to
further compile or optimize the opcodes as the external program will
perform these operations. The end result is that the application
performance will improve with usage and time.

What do you think?

__
Raymond