On 1/21/2013 12:36 PM, Richard Quadling wrote:
Hello.

This may have already been covered, so apologies ...

With https://wiki.php.net/rfc/propertygetsetsyntax-v1.2#references,
the return by reference is handled by the use of &get{}.

How about pass-by-reference for set{}?
It works, it was simply not included in that section, which it now is:

Documented in the references section:

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/propertygetsetsyntax-v1.2?&#references

Normally, a function definition dictates this.

But if $value is already passed, a reference to it (&$value) is not
going to be referencing the external variable surely?

Whilst objects are always passed by reference (I assume this is still
the case for this rfc and I can see no reason why it isn't), and I
think I can see the sort of issues that setting an accessor to a
reference (binding the value of a property in this class to something
external to the class - yeah - just eek!), is this an issue?

Will users _want_ ...

set(&$value){ $this->externally_linked_var = $value; }

I'm not expecting any changes to anything, just looking for clarification.

Regards,

Richard.

--
-Clint