On 1/29/2013 5:23 AM, Anthony Ferrara wrote:
Additionally, I don't like the precedent that this sets for future
releases. That it's ok to break the timebox for some feature. In this case
I think we can justify it, but future cases may use this to justify waiting
when it's not completely justified in itself. I'm not sure how we can
rectify this concern, but I figured it was worth mentioning.
I would agree with this sentiment, time boxing from my own personal experience just completely breaks down if you let anything get in the way of it, if you let that box slip for any reason, other reasons become easily justifyable. If 5.5 is due for release, we should not delay it for 2 months to get an opcode cache into core.

Additionally:

1) I believe Optimizer+ is the opcode cache that's been discussed but it's not thread safe?

2) Isn't APC the standard? Is it in such bad shape it is not even being considered any longer?

3) There has never been a bundled opcode cache that I'm aware of, one more release without one is not going to surprise many people

4) Waiting for a 5.6 release will give everyone an entire year to get this into core and well tested which based on all the hoopla about how critical APC/opcode caches are to the core it makes sense that integration is going to be a long and painful process.

--
-Clint