Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
It would make everyone's life so much easier if all the Drupal 8 code
>that is being written and tested with 5.4 would just work 5.5 without
>*any*  problem.
Yup, so please test it against 5.5 now. Have you done so? It is rather
trivial to do. Grab it from git or there is a tarball athttp://qa.php.net

Perhaps when I've finished the time machine ...

In reality we have to make choices where we DO spend time. There is still a mile of code out there being used live which is running perfectly on the PHP5.2 infrastructure. That needs testing and reworking on PHP5.3 and then PHP5.4 before we get around to 5.5.

This is perhaps the main problem with accelerating the release timetable in that there simply is not enough time to bring everybody along? So something has to give and at the moment for me it's going to have to be 5.5 ... but by the time all the legacy stuff is up to 5.4 you will be way off in the distance :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL