hi,

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> It is totally on topic!

no, really not.

> :( THEY are not programmers ...

But you are. Evolution of the platform as a whole is part of the
support, if desired and necessary.

> My current roadmap is based on PHP5.4 servers with nothing hidden and
> eventually all of the code will be moved forward to that base, but I simply
> can't justify charging some customers for all the time this takes because
> they HAVE working sites currently and this is not giving them any return.

And the working sites will still work later as well if they don't
change the platform. However porting applications to supported
platforms is part of a support contract, and costs should or can be
described. It is even easier now that we have a fixed life cycle
(three years).

But again, how one should do support or define the needs of his
customers so they won't be in trouble (and himself neither) is not a
topic for this list.

cheers,
--
Pierre