I assume it would be possible technically but might break (at least by
issuing E_STRICT) a lot of code if we forced ArrayObject::offsetGet to
return a reference.

Think of all the subclasses that extend ArrayObject who currently do not do
that?

Other than that, returning a ref where it previously didn't can have all
kinds of undesirable and hard-to-track consequences.

Best,

--
Etienne Kneuss
http://www.colder.ch