> How do I verify it, and which projects are applicable?
> Does it depend on how many contributors it has? Users? How long it has
> been around?
> Commercial? OSS? Library? Framework? Applications? Websites?

I've long had the same question. Not that I think I've earned such
honor, believe me, but if you have a running commercial concern (i.e.
web app) yet have never open-sourced your application code, can you
ever be considered to have a "project"? Are there set boundaries for
this?

Thinking of Facebook, HipHop was obviously a huge donation on the OSS
side, but what if Sara (and whoever else) weren't there? Does Facebook
itself as an 800-pound PHP-based gorilla qualify as a project even if
if it never open-sourced anything? Or would the worldwide PHP-based
brand be like 99% of the way there, but they'd still need a
non-frivolous OSS project?

On the flip, several small-adoption, high-quality, stable OSS
frameworks are out there that I think show great loyalty to PHP as a
language (Konstrukt is one). But when do they become "projects" as
such? Seriously curious. Having a "karma-certified" project might be
an exciting carrot for people.

-- S.