On 1 Dec 2012, at 12:34, Sebastian Krebs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Don't want to start a big discussion, but is there a concrete reason, why
> abstract properties (or "a kind of abstract") are not supported?

Hi,

The reason for not having abstract properties is that when you are defining a
type you don't care about how the implementation will store the state. The
contract is about message exchanges, how the objects will talk to each other,
via the public interface, e.g. the public methods.

Also, think of the keyword "abstract" as something that is incomplete. An
abstract class is an incomplete class, an abstract method is an incomplete
method. So an abstract property doesn't make sense, as it doesn't need anything
to be complete.

Reinforce the implementation to store state in a particular way would be a bad
feature for PHP. This is one the things we got it right.

Kind regards,
Marcello