On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Ferenc Kovacs <tyr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Etienne Kneuss <col...@php.net> wrote:
>
>> Sure the default implementation would have to be identical to the
>> behavior of not defining one.
>>

> agree
>

>> I believe the best way to solve these issues is by having an implicit
>> base class.
>>

> that would also solve the "I want to typehint objects" problem.
>

>>  To some extent, that means BC breaks though.
>>

> by BC break you mean the name of the implicit base class?

No, I was more referring to the fact that people might be relying on the
hierarchy to be bounded by their own classes, and checking for their roots
using i.e. class_parents/reflection.

If we introduce a class and force it as parent of every userland root
classes, you can always find existing code to break in non-trivial ways :)

It seems acceptable to me though, given the progress we would make with
this change.

--
Etienne Kneuss