Hello PHP internals,

Currently PHP doesn't support what could be a good feature for code
quality, return typing (or if you prefer to call it: return type
hinting).

Since the procedure says that before any real RFC should be done, the
interest for this topic should be gauged, I've drafted something here:
https://gist.github.com/dlsniper/5863012

The goals for this discussion are:
- gauge the interest in having such a feature in PHP.NEXT
- find weak spots in the draft
- find potential problems with the suggested way of doing the implementation
- determine if the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages and
this should go forward as a RFC

As you can see, the draft doesn't include any patch and since my C
skills are mostly nonexistent, I currently can't provide one
unfortunately. I would however love to do it with proper guidance from
someone that could spare some of his/her time to help me out.

This said, thank you very much for your time, consideration and
feedback on this subject.

Best regards,
Florin
----