I have to say that I'm not wildly enthusiastic about making this change over
what appears to be a fairly minor comment in the license, and without even
going into the discussion as to why we want to promote Evil :)

The main concerns I have are:
* Downwards compatibility.  We've found one potential issue, how can we
guarantee that there aren't others when we deal with a completely different
implementation?  I think that users that bump into apps suddenly breaking in
obscure edge cases will not be very understanding when we explain to them
that we did that over a licensing quirk - that I'm willing to bet they'll
say isn't applicable to them...
* Performance.  Again, for the same reasons, I think it'll be difficult for
us to defend this decision in this context as well.  We switched to a 2x
slower implementation over this?  Really?

I think that a better alternative would be enabling ext/jsonc to take over
the ext/json symbol space so that people who care about the license issue,
and/or are interested in the extra features - will be able to take advantage
of it as a drop-in replacement.  Debian can come with this switch turned on.

My 2c.

Zeev