Derick Rethans wrote:
This is not so much an 'upgrade' note, but rather a update to the
>timezone library in general. The tz database is being 'rationalised'
>at the moment, and the base list of zone names simplified, with many
>of these only being retained for 'backwards' compatibility. Derick
>will probably add a comment, but we can expect a few more changes over
>the next couple of updates to the tz data.
We will see what happens there. As far as I know most of those changes
have been reverted in the TZDB anyway.

The discussion on 'extended' timezones is still going on ;)
Daylight saving did not start in 1970, but the recent proposed change in tz was to ignore them to simplify the list of timezones. That has now been reverted, but how to handle the additional information has not yet been agreed. The tz dataabse will probably not return pre 1970 date, you will need a different build of tz to get that. Which is something I think is simply wrong! We have increasingly accurate pre 1970 data but that requires additional timezone names which the basic tz database will not support.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL