As something of a response to "Wake up", perhaps some sort of "forum" system for discussion would beat the mailing list. We wouldn't eradicate the mailing list, but discussions could also take place there if people wished to.

I'm thinking, in particular, of something à la Reddit.com or Hacker News, by which I mean has hierarchical replies with an upvote/downvote system. The first advantage of such a system over the current one is that it organises things so that you can see which post replied to which (aiding readability). This would mean that related things are visually grouped. It also allows you to express approval or disapproval of a post, so you can then have it automatically sort by approval, such that posts with the most "upvotes" float to the top. This is the second advantage, in that it shows which opinions are most favoured. This usually enables more productive discussions, because the "trend" as such is much clearer.

As I've already said, I don't think this would entirely replace the mailing list. But I'd like to see such a system in place as an alternative to the mailing list for discussions. Perhaps the software could be implemented such that all posts and replies on it would also be sent to the mailing list in the appropriate format, so that people reading the mailing list could still see what was going on.

Thoughts?

--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/