"I feel we have a lof of 'silent' people reading the list."
Maybe someone who is in charge of running this mailing list can provide the
ratio:
(distinct email addresses which sent email to internals in the last X
months) / (number of email addresses subscribed to internals)
to actually see an estimate.

I am guessing my experience might extrapolate to others, but internals
being a mailing list makes me _think twice_ before I send email to it,
because I know EVERYONE on this list WILL see it (most likely).

On the other hand, I believe a forum has a different psychological impact
on 'silent' readers: ANYONE on this forum CAN see it, but there is no
guarantee that everyone will see it.

Thus, exchanging mailing list for a forum would effectively transform
self-based moderation to community-based moderation, as I see it. I refrain
myself from expressing opinion whether this is good or bad. Personally I
like the relative "quietness" of the internals, with occasional volume
spikes.

Anyhow, to actually support active contributors with the opinion of the
masses, we could use a web-based frontend to mailing list, which would not
allow comments (to keep the conversation concentrated on ML) but would
provide voting facility for the posts, not unlike Stack Overflow or
SlashDot. On the second thought, this could also be done for RFCs.

b.