> Users who are concerned for this situation should disable it. Users
> who are concerned security should accept this case.

I assume "users" are as we understand them here, i.e. me.

But as a developer-user I would likely want to empower my end-users to
turn off this feature themselves. With high-volume sites (not that I
really have any anymore, but a guy can dream) there isn't going to be
a one-size-fits-all regarding connection quality, but there can be a
default INI setting and then a function that we can call to override
it. Paranoid users will turn/leave it on.... any user in a sketchy
connection situation will turn it off (per session or for all their
future sessions).

Which is kind of why this is sounding more and more like a nice
discussion... about a userland solution.

-- S.