On 13 Jul 2014, at 14:13, Jocelyn Fournier <jocelyn.fourn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually displaying a warning in E_STRICT but still doing the implicit cast
> would not change the function signature.

Sure. What I meant was more that we’re changing expectations based on
php.ini/variable/etc., and I’d rather it’s always consistent.

> Indeed :) But I have also performances in mind. Usually (at least in HACK /
> Zephir), "type hinting" is used to help the compiler optimize the code. If
> this type hinting could be useful to help my code working in a futur
> PHP->PECL compiler, or help the PHP opcache to do some optimisations, I'd
> like to use "type hinting" as much as possible.
>
> But with the above limitation, I'll not be able to do so.

I think this type hinting wouldn’t hinder optimisation. Casting means that it’s
still guaranteed that the value you get is of the requested type.

--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/