On 2014-08-15, Ferenc Kovacs <tyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> --001a11c1258a38c82a0500a8b070
> we don't have a single instance where we were able to deliver a minor
> release under a year, and I'm fairly sure that 7.0 will see more proposed
> features/changes as any previous minor, because there are stuff which can
> only happen in a major version.
> More changes(both in numbers and in impact) will need more time to
> stabilize, so I think that the one year roadmap for 7.0 is unrealistic.
> You seem to be arguing that 5.7 would pull away resources from 7.0, but I'm
> fairly sure that 5.7 would be the smallest of the 5.x minor versions for
> two reasons: we are getting better with not letting BC breaks slip in in
> minors plus working on a major version is much more interesting as you have
> less restrictions, so I think that 5.7 will/would be only to make the bed
> for 7.0, mostly introducing E_DEPRECATEDs and maybe a handfull of small
> features.
> I think that there is no reason to give up our current release policy and
> roadmap, and bet everything on PHP7, we don't lose anything with keeping
> 5.7.

My main concern with this is that it's php6 all over again. A PHP 7 where
everyone waits and pushes all their new stuff in their but nobody actually ever
releases because "one more feature" or they are too busy maintaining the old
series. I personally feel PHP7 will be stale and slowly die if we do a 5.7, or
who wants to even further support multiple branches with different APIs (didn't
we learn anything from PHP 6?).