On 21/08/14 19:17, Stas Malyshev wrote:
> We have millions of people using PHP 5, and the goal is for
> almost all of them to eventually use PHP 7, otherwise there's no point
> in it. Each BC break creates another hurdle on the way to it. We should
> take it seriously.

Currently we have millions still using 5.2 because the changes to 5.3/4
require work. 'strict' while something one can switch off HAS to be
reworked for in order to move that code forward and remove the problems
caused by third party hosting changes that may well be out of a users
control.

Many of the changes being put forward will probably not affect older
code, as it's not been using these 'improvements' anyway, but it would
be nice if as part of the PHP7 process there was a mechanism which could
scan the code and at least tag what areas need attention rather than the
current mechanism of having to keep one eye on the error logs for
changes that have been missed. I think Derick is picking up subtle
changes almost to style which are difficult to detect but will result in
changes in outcome, and those sorts of changes need the most support to
identify if they go forward?

It looks like I've lost PHPEclipse as a mechanism that could provide
this level of checking as it seems to have lost support, and I still
don't find PDT as capable in this sort of area :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL