Hi Derick,

On Thu, August 28, 2014 17:23, Derick Rethans wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2014, Derick Rethans wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 22 Aug 2014, Anatol Belski wrote:
>>

>>> as there are many data type changes, here's an idea on how to simplify
>>> the merges. Git supports custom merge drivers which attracted my
>>> attention, so I've ended up with the following trick:
>>
>> As there are that many differences, does it still make sense to GIT
>> merge PHP 5 changes up to 7 at all? Shouldn't we just do it by hand. I
>> would expect that to have a much greater rate of success.
>
> Really, no comments about this at all?

Since there was just a little interest, I thought it's rather this topic
died. Now after working more than a week on master I do share your opinion
as well - manual merge is probably the success strategy.

The most pain will come from new APIs, just to name some - zend_string vs
char*, arrays and changed macro/function signatures. However, once 5 is
converted to 7, the pain should decrease. Of course sometimes it'll get
complicated, but that's also not  the case for automatic. I think also,
when we do the further work and see some systematic cases which can be
automated, good to know such a mechanism does exist.

Regards

Anatol