Stas Malyshev wrote (on 15/09/2014):
It's not the issue here. Nobody wants 100% of functions to do the same,
and everybody knows there will be exceptions when some functions can not
accept all values covered by type, or can accept multiple types but only
in certain situations, etc. etc. What we want is to have one set of
rules (yes, again, not covering 100% of functions, both user and
internal, but covering most of them in the same way) instead of two
different sets of rules.

I agree that 100% is an unrealistic goal, but I don't think I've yet seen someone actually point at a documented set of rules that even 80% of current functions follow. I guess there is a default/normal usage of ZPP etc that most internal functions use, but I have yet to find the documentation on what this actually is (README.PARAMETER_PARSING_API lists the C types you have to use, but not the PHP types & values that can be provided by the user, or what happens if they don't).

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious here.

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins
[IMSoP]