> On Oct 26, 2014, at 9:43 PM, Stas Malyshev <smalys...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
>> I’m trying to wrap my head around a real-world use-case with this.
>> We have spl_object_hash, which effectively provides a unique hash for
>
> This hash has nothing to do with object's contents. But imagine number
> GMP("42") and imagine you actually want two GMP objects expressing "42"
> actually represent the same hash key. Or imagine you want to generate
> the key somehow in a way related to object's content and not just a
> random number. As I said in the RFC, evidence that so many languages
> implement it shows that this use case is quite real. Of course, you can
> always default to spl_object_hash, but now you have control over it.

Thank you for your clarity. With this new approach, wouldn’t we best be served
by renaming/deprecating/removing spl_object_hash? I’m concerned these different
approaches will introduce quite a bit of confusion with object hashing. This
RFC’s approach gives the user more power to determine what’s best in this case,
so I’d lean more towards renaming spl_object_hash to something that reflects
getting a unique ID per object (e.g. spl_unique_object_id, etc).