Hi!

> C++11 adds suffixed types for returns despite having prefixed types
> for everything else, including previous return types.

C++ does it for entirely different reasons, related to scoping, and it
still has "auto" type at the beginning. In any case, I'd be very vary
taking late C++ hacks as a guide for syntax, as advanced C++ syntax is
not something I would recommend as an example of clarity.

> 3) Claiming compatibility for things which aren't proposed is meaningless.
>
> People have already asked for support for static return types; doing

People asked for a lot of things, it doesn't mean it makes sense.
"static" as return type doesn't, since it does not specify any type at
all - it just says "I will return a type that is this class or derived
from this class" - which is the same as saying 'self'. There's no
additional information one can gather from 'static' declaration which is
not in 'self' declaration, and I see no use case to ever use it.

> `<return_type> "function" <identifier> "( <parameter_list> ")` would
> then be ambiguous. This is not some pie-in-the sky issue.

It's not, it's a non-issue at all, since "static" does not make sense in
that context.

--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/