On 4 November 2014 17:07, Jakub Zelenka <bu...@php.net> wrote:

> [...]
> > > words, json_decode(json_encode(10.0)) !== 10.0.
> > >
> > > After some researches and discussions it is not considered a bug
> because
> > > JSON specs treat integer and floats as number. Looking how other
> > languages
> > > treat this encoding I could find it:
> > > - C (using lib jansson) and Ruby the output contains the decimal
> portion;
> > > - Python and Javascript outputs without the decimal portion.
> > >
> > > So it is kind of common to have different behaviors since JSON specs
> > define
> > > it as just number. The idea of the new flag is allow PHP to behave the
> > both
> > > ways.
> > >
> > > In the pull request Stanislav Malyshev suggested to merge it in the
> 5.6,
> > > but just want to see if someone else has any objection. Ferenc Kovacs
> > > and Jakub Zelenka also are in favor of merging on 5.6.
> > > Jakub completed suggesting to have this option enabled by default on
> PHP
> > 7.
> > >
> > > Anyone has any objection on merging it on 5.6? Some comments about
> > enabling
> > > it by default in 7?
> > >
> > > As a side note, with the pull request the encode of floats are about
> 20%
> > > faster, even after the flag check. This improvement just affect float
> > > encoding and has no impact on the other types.
> > >
> > > [1] https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/642
> > > [2] https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=50224
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > > Juan Basso
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > just a slight correction:
> > as far as I can tell, Jakus was ok with the general idea and even with
> > turning this into the default, but he stated that it should only happen
> in
> > a major version (as it would cause a slight BC, maybe this could cause
> > problems for some people who are expecting the zeroes to be truncated
> from
> > integer values) and he also stated that he thinks that there is no reason
> > for a hurry to have this in a micro release, so this could wait until
> 7.0.
> >

> Hey,
>
> Yeah exactly!
>
> I would really like to see it as default in the next major as it is a
> useful feature.
>
> However I don't like adding new flag. The reason for that is that it
> becomes useless after 7 is realesed. It would be useful only for >5.6.3 and
> <7.0 though. The only use case in PHP 7 would be just to disable the flag
> but that won't be very nice and completely different than other json
> constant usage It means doing something like $options &
> ~JSON_PRESERVE_FRACTIONAL_PART ... It's a bit messy IMHO. Think that it
> would be much better to wait till 7 with this feature.

I'm afraid I have to disagree here, I don't like the idea of changing this
behaviour without making it controllable, and your logic is also slightly
flawed - it's not that you'd have to do an & ~ to disable, it's that it
wouldn't be enabled unless you added it to your flags argument. Passing a
value of JSON_FORCE_OBJECT wouldn't be handled as JSON_FORCE_OBJECT |
JSON_PRESERVE_FRACTIONAL_PART, you'd just need to explicitly pass 0 to the
flags argument to disable it.

The other advantage of making it into a flag is that any code that is
already passing in flags (suggesting they need finer control over the
output) will be unaffected by the change.