On 06/11/14 02:27, Andrea Faulds wrote:
>> We have minor BC breaks (new errors. Slight behavior changes due to bug
>> fixes).
>> >
>> > But globally no, it makes end users work harder for migration, even worst
>> > for distros.
>> >
>> > See Debian f.e., they boost the adoption speed now, we finally see some
>> > results, within the 2-4 years plan we had back then. I could not imagine a
>> > worst time to rollback what we defined.
>> >
> Ah, you raise a good point there. It’d be a shame if distros stopped shipping
> new minor versions of PHP.
>
> Alright then. Perhaps, instead, the solution is more frequent majors, with
> less BC breaks each.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing ...

While yes one can run PHP5.2 code on PHP5.4 by hiding everything that
PHP5.4 does not like, in the real world trying to run the two side by
side simply does not work. PHP5.4 was essentially a major version - if
you assume that e_strict failures have to be fixed.

IF 5.4 had been released as PHPNext then those of us who have to live
with the fallout COULD have managed legacy code with PHP5.3.

Yes it is only a number, but a lot more problematic changes WERE pushed
through across those three versions which would have been much safer
handled by removing e_strict from PHP5.4 rather than trying to live with
both versions of PHP.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL