Hi everyone,

Just a few small updates.

I’ve made a small change to this RFC. Instead of the strict mode syntax being
declare(strict_typehints=TRUE), it’s now declare(strict_types=1) instead. This
makes it a bit quicker to type - important given you’d need to type it a lot -
without sacrificing much readability. It also avoids using the words “type
hint”, which I understand are contentious to some people.

The patch now includes a more extensive set of tests:
https://github.com/TazeTSchnitzel/php-src/tree/scalar_type_hints_2_strict_mode/Zend/tests/typehints/

The pull request is also now green on Travis (aside from two failures on the
debug build - but they also fail in master).

Levi’s Return Types RFC has now passed, so now the RFC needs to cover that. The
RFC currently doesn’t discuss return types, save for a paragraph in the Future
Scope section. When the return types patch is merged, I’ll update the scalars
patch, and then update the RFC. A point of contention here is whether or not
return types should always be strict, or whether they should also obey the
strict/weak modes. I’m not entirely sure on that one, that specific item may
end up going to a vote. That said, I do lean towards always strict, given you
can usually ensure your return type’s correct.

Thanks.

--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/

PS: It’s rumoured that a certain other female internals developer may have
endorsed this RFC at a certain recent PHP conference. That’s good to hear!