On 09/02/15 00:05, Rowan Collins wrote:
>> Some of the new 'styles' of writing things are
>> going to make things considerably worse for those who are going to have
>> to maintain this code   in the future.
>
> If you're writing code that you know will be hard to maintain in the
> future, you're doing something wrong. If by slavishly following a style
> guide you've ended up with a poor architecture, you need a better style
> guide, or a better understanding of why those styles are preferred.
>
> Alternatively, I may have misunderstood that sentence, in which case I
> apologise in advance.

Something *I* have been asking for for the last few years IS a better
'style guide' ... There are a growing number of 'styles' and the current
debate is to allow even more! Just about every framework has a different
style of handling database abstraction, and that seems to change every
major version as well. All of my own code is based around ADOdb, but now
it seems THAT is not an acceptable style of code these days.

Anyway I now have PHP56.lsces.org.uk running with the latest PHP5. It's
throwing megabytes of data into the error log but there ACTUALLY seem to
be less in the php7 error log ... need to figure that out, but I've
currently hit the latest brick wall as mbstring is not compiling! Most
of the others have compiled fine, but currently there is a blank front
page until I can work out what is going wrong ... that and smarty is
throwing errors ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL