Hi,

> De : Andrea Faulds [mailto:a...@ajf.me]
> > following codes  still works:
> >
> >   $b = a();
> >
> > so, if you want a void return type, and if you want it to be a useful
feature..

> > above expr should be invalid with an error " a() return nothing"
>
> I'm not sure about this. PHP has always made functions valid rvalues, for
> better or for worse. This RFC could make void functions "truly" void

What about renaming this hint to 'null', instead of 'void'. I know that it
supports no explicit return and 'return;' with no value but what it does is
more checking that return value is null, than checking return value is
'void', whose concept is not defined yet.

It would remove the ambiguity on the fact that the return value is used or
not. The only justification is that, in PHP, not returning an explicit
value, or using 'return;' returns null, that's history, period.

I think it would make the concept easier to understand and would reserve the
ambiguous 'void' keyword for the future, if it finds a utility one day.

Cheers

François