On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 8:21 AM, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> On 19/02/15 12:52, Zeev Suraski wrote:
>>> Now that all made sense!

>> I think the guiding principal for these conversions should be no data loss.
>> This may mean we have different limits on different architectures, depending
>> on whether they're 32-bit or 64-bit.
>
> This still leaves the 'black hole' caused by the fact that databases are
> actively using 'BIGINT' even on 32 bit platforms. It may be that the
> only practical approach is gmp, but using that and writing code that
> selects that on a 32bit platform, then switching to clean 64bit maths on
> a 64bit platform does not sound like simplifying things?
>
> As with other debates, some say ignore 32 bit, and others say lets loose
> the constraints altogether, but having a fundamental type behave
> differently depending on platform is a problem?

Lester,

You keep coming with this topic in every possible threads.

As I understand that DB interactions are some of the primary usages of
PHP, this discussion has nothing to do with that. DB drivers will do
what they have to do to deal with PHP & DB types, as they always do.
It would be very good if you could focus on the actual content of a
RFC or discussion instead.

--
Pierre

@pierrejoye | http://www.libgd.org