Hi Lester,

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 8:46 PM, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> > This would be fine if all the users read the manual, and only the
> manual. What about the thousands of books, tutorials, blog posts, Stack
> Overflow q&as, etc, all mentioning the names and behaviour that have been
> around for 15 to 20 years? Not to mention the thousands of lines of
> existing code which people will not only need to read and understand, but
> also contribute to without accidentally breaking compatibility with old
> versions of PHP.
>
> This is perhaps the key ...
>
> Yasuo has at least now come on board over the IEEE standards but has
> also spotted that because of allowing a little to much freedom in the
> past some of the current guide lines do not marry with the well
> established standards :(

I've updated the RFC to have IEEE names as well as other established
library function
names as valid names. We wouldn't have much problem having aliases for it.
I think
it would be useful.

The bit I'm still unsure of here is not so much messing with some of the
> fine detail of the procedural based functions, but the coding standard
> that ACTUALLY applies at the object level. Using one naming standard for
> ths area and a different one for an object version of the same set of
> functions is equally confusing?

I agree. I wouldn't rush into.
If we change, we should change them right.

We have the implementation already.
http://php.net/arrayobject

I looked into the implementation. I'm surprised that it's overly
complicated.
It uses "array(hash)" and "object" for array storage for some reasons. This
makes it difficult to reuse procedural implementation. We may do something
for this issue.

Regards,

--
Yasuo Ohgaki