> Dan,
>
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 11:45 AM, Dan Ackroyd <dan...@basereality.com>
> wrote:
> > On 10 March 2015 at 15:02, Anthony Ferrara <ircmax...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Can we please come down to a single RFC, with a single vote yes/no?
> >> It's easier to understand, easier to manage and has less possibility
> >> of gaming.
> >

> > While I generally agree, in the case where there is a small detail
> > that needs to be addresses by a vote, I think having two votes in one
> > RFC is better than having two almost identical RFCs.
> >
> > However the question that is being voted on needs to be setup properly
> > so that it does not prevent people from being able to vote on both
> > issues.
> >
> > For example the group use RFC
> > (https://wiki.php.net/rfc/group_use_declarations) has a small detail
> > of whether there should be a trailing slash in the syntax, which did
> > not deserve a separate RFC imo.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the vote options were:
> > - Yes - with a trailing "\"
> > - Yes - without a trailing "\"
> > - No
>
> In this case, a straw-poll ahead of time for "with or without" could
> have solved that. Or just choosing one.
>
> But in more complex situations it doesn't need to be competing RFCs,
> but a RFC for the main thing, and a RFC to choose which option. This
> case (with/without "\") isn't what I was referring to. I was talking
> more about situations like:
>

> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/error_handler_callback_parameters_passed_by_reference#vote
>
> Specifically where the options have pretty significant difference in
> potential functionality.
>
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/pecl_http#vote
>
> Here, enabled/disabled by default, and the namespace?
>
> The namespace is a pretty significant concern. I believe that the RFC
> should have taken a stance on it. But if it didn't want to, it could
> split it off into its own proposal. So you'd have RFC#1: add pecl_http
> to core, and RFC#2: change pecl_http to use the php\ namespace prefix.
>
> By splitting it apart it's a lot clearer what's going on, and the
> impact of the decision can be weighed.
>
> If I was doing the proposal though, I would make a single RFC that
> takes a stance (picks one). Then let the discussion guide the change.
> If people really feel that another option is better, it will become
> clear, so the RFC can be updated.  That's the point of discussion, no?

Yes, that is the point of discussion. But, unfortunately, a lot of RFCs
only start to get discussed when the voting is open. I don't know why this
happens, but it's a pattern I've been observing for some time. In general,
I agree with you, we should make some effort to eliminate voting options
during discussion phase, or at least reduce the options to a minimum amount.