That's a good question, I never tried the SPL library.

But if we're to stick to whatever information is readily available, it's
not good enough, as Spl seems to be 15-30% faster when I'm looking for 10x
faster - however I'm looking at a really specific portion of performance
which would probably be list creation (I came across the performance issue
in the benchmarks game in the binary tree program, could not come closer
than 300x times C performance, all due to array() inefficiency).

Still, it could make more sense to fix the SPL library than add yet another
one.

I will run benchmarks on it to figure out how much faster it really is,
then come back to you on that one.

Thanks.

--
Ludovic Urbain