On 13/03/15 18:53, guilhermebla...@gmail.com wrote:
> By considering PHP's nature, having a dual mode is a WTF. I can see myself
> asking multiple times a day "is this file strict or not?" to trace
> potential bugs or type juggling. I do want strict, but I don't think it's
> the right time for PHP to make this move. Userland would have strictness,
> but all internal functions are a weird WTF type juggling mode. I originally
> switched my vote many times in the v3 of the RFC, mainly because PHP
> developers are the ones that would suffer by these configurability on a
> daily basis. I ended up with a YES vote because when considering STH or
> nothing at all, I prefer to have some.

The bigger WTF is perhaps that moving forward one has no idea just what
a third party library is using internally. A case has been made that
this does not matter since calling that library from a non-strict site
will simply work as now, but in that case the library is not designed to
handle non-strict input. It assumes that the strict check happens, where
a well designed 'weak' library will be handling the edge cases properly.
It not simply a matter of "is this file strict or not?" but rather "what
happens when I pass the wrong data?".

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL