Hi,

you may know that I am the maintainer of the NSAPI SAPI module. I spent a lot
of time in improving it. The next update would have been to change it to the
PHP 7 threading model, but based on recent experience with Oracle, I will stop
maintaining the plugin. We should not remove it from PHP 5, but it should no
longer be available for PHP7.

The reason for this decision is:

- Oracle seems to no longer have any interest in maintaining any public
accessible developer downloads, you can now only "order" the product and
download installation files (and therefore header files) through their paywall.
All references to the OTN (Oracle Technology Network, means developer licenses)
downloads were removed completely from their web pages. This happened after I
asked a question on their support forums (which was moderated away), where the
OTN downloads for the latest version including TLS 1.2 support are located now.
This lead to the fact that they disabled the download page completely (and my
post was moderated away, which is a really bad behavior, sorry I have to say
this!). Somebody there should have known that I am the person who worked
closely together with the people working on the iPlanet/Sun Webserver at Sun
Microsystems times. This is annoying.

- I am also phasing out use of this webserver privately, because the new
conditions are unacceptable. In my opinion, this webserver was a great piece of
nice and fast software, including - next to PHP - Java web application support
inside the webserver, so there was no need to have stuff like reverse proxies
needed (the usual Tomcat behind a reverse proxy Apache), because the Java code
was running inside the web server (and this made it very fast). Of course, PHP
support (when used through the NSAPI plugin) was great, too, because there was
no overhead (although some PHP extensions were not compatible, because this
webserver runs in a multithreaded way).

People that still want to stay on iPlanet webserver can fallback to using
FastCGI, which has some pitfalls, but generally works. The NSAPI plugin allowed
to do much more like binding PHP script to directory (allowing to make custom
PHP-based directory listings), or error pages. This is impossible using FastCGI
as far as I know.

I am sorry, I have to stop supporting it, because Oracle killed the last piece
of good software :-(

If there needs to be some decision about removing this plugin through an RFC, I
can trigger one, but to me the above changes in Licensing make it impossible to
longer support this piece of software.
Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler