> On Jun 3, 2015, at 00:50, Michael Wallner <m...@php.net> wrote:
>
>>> On 03 06 2015, at 05:30, Bishop Bettini <bis...@php.net> wrote:
>>
>> My question though is on relative times.  Method call overhead is
>> consistently 50% to 150% over a direct call.  Is my experiment invalid, or
>> is this overhead expected?  Is the overhead in the allocation,
>> deallocation, GC?
>
> I’suggest you use a tool like valgrind’s callgrind (and visualize with e.g.
> kcachegrind).

I'd also take variable function calling out of the picture (or at least, have
it as a separate dimension).  Normal applications make pretty spare use of
variable functions (compared to actual direct calls), whereas your benchmark
uses them exclusively.  So you've explicitly chosen the most pessimistic path,
and an unrepresentative one.

-Sara