On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Larry Garfield <la...@garfieldtech.com>
wrote:

> On 7/10/15 3:27 PM, Dean Eigenmann wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a proposal for PHP. The proposed interface would allow developers
>> to decode json into a custom object directly. If given the approval I would
>> possibly be able to implement it.
>>
>> Here is my github link with further details:
>> https://github.com/decanus/JSON-Aware/tree/master
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dean
>>

> I'll ask before someone else does...
>
> Why does this need to be in PHP core?  Why can't it be done purely in
> user-space PHP code?  The syntax would be different, fine, but how is it
> functionally better in C?
>
> --
> --Larry Garfield
>

> --

PHP already has tons of abstractions designed to provide convenience.
We've never followed the "if it can be done in userland, don't do it in
core" standard.  If we did, we would have far fewer array_* functions, for
example.

The question is whether or not this would be useful enough to warrant
putting it in core, not whether or not someone could write a ton of code to
do it in userland.

Dean, could you write an RFC for this proposal?  That would make it easier
to evaluate, plus give us something we can vote on.

--Kris