Morning Craig,

    I think Pierre and I object to the concept, regardless of the
intricacies of any particular implementation.

    Even the best implementation need only have a single hole in it and
everything falls apart, one extension not doing something properly, or one
mistake in the implementation ... it's not hard to imagine these things
happening, right ?

    When I made reference to safe_mode, it wasn't because I misunderstood
the concept, I know you're not introducing another safe mode, but
introducing a INI, or build, or configuration option that says "we got
this" is doomed to fail whatever.

    I don't like to talk about security, it's not something I feel
qualified to talk about really, but I can observe that catch-all security
"features" have already been proven to fail ...

    It's the year 3015, we're all running PHP442, our taint implementation
is flawless, every major framework (which we have a futurish word for)
relies on tainting and thinks SQLi is no longer a thing to worry about,
because "we got this". A junior sysadmin, on mars, is charged with
upgrading PHP on the server that is responsible for crop irrigation on the
terra-formed world, and forgets to configure taint properly. The upgrade
goes live, renegade ruby fans hack the system disrupting food production,
leading to the eventual death of everything.

   It's Friday afternoon, and that was a bit of fun ... I hope I lifted
your mood ... push on, I can be wrong, Pierre can be wrong, we can all be
wrong ...

Cheers
Joe