On 16 September 2015 21:54:28 BST, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> 'exists but I don't know what
>as yet' is a logical state

It is indeed. "I know it's name but it doesn't exist", however, is generally
not a valid state - if you've hard-coded the name (as is the case with 99.9% of
bare variables) then clearly you consider it to have some existence. For this
reason, PHP assumes that you meant to create it with a null value.

I seem to remember Perl has an interesting quirk along these lines where in
some circumstances just reading from a variable will actually initialise it in
memory!

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins