Hi Anthony,

As much as it could be an improvement of the password_hash(), one would better
avoid any behavior change at this stage. I was thinking about it and came to an
idea that maybe could work for 7.0 - one should just make php_random_bytes()
that side effect free.

Could php_random_bytes() be extended with a flag that would tell exceptions to
pass? Or maybe exceptions could be moved out from the php_random_bytes() and
thrown directly in the new functions that was undergoing the RFC but not
password_hash() ? I'd be actually for the second variant.

That ways FAILURE would be returned, but a decision about what to do about it
would be made outside. IMHO it were also useful as the API is intended to be
exported. So for the cases where php_random_bytes() came to use as a library
function outside immediate PHP userspace (for example in SAPI), it should not
throw exceptions from itself.

Do this suggestions sound eligible?

Regards

Anatol