Hey Dan,

On 9 November 2015 at 23:24, Dan Ackroyd <dan...@basereality.com> wrote:

> Hi Reeze,
>
> On 9 November 2015 at 13:35, reeze <re...@php.net> wrote:
> > Hi internals!
> >
> > I'd like to open a discussion on the RFC to allow set default values for
> > list() assignment:  https://wiki.php.net/rfc/list_default_value.
> >
> > What is your idea?
>
> I find the list construct to be quite magic already. Isn't it possible

to get the affect that you want without adding anything to the core by
> doing this:
>
> $defaults = ['default', 'default'];
> $input = [1];
>
> list($a, $b) = array_replace($defaults, $input);
>
> I'd find that way easier to understand and explain to junior devs,

I saw the contrast way, it is more complex ;-). This seems like a trick.
Many feature could also be remove,
such as I refered in RFC:  Null coalesce "??" and Ternary Operator "?:"

And the trick is trick. If you want to unpack nested array.

list($a, list(list($b))) = $array

Then you might need a new trick to do that.

You know we have default for function declaration:
function func($a='default') {}; and almost all language have the feature,
it is easier to understand from my perspective.

--
Reeze Xia
http://reeze.cn