> On 11 Jan 2016, at 07:57, Scott Arciszewski <sc...@paragonie.com> wrote:
>
> Does adding Argon2 as a possible choice for password_hash() +
> password_verify() need an RFC? Or can I just submit a pull request?

The original RFC (https://wiki.php.net/rfc/password_hash) contained the
following text:

> I'd propose the following policy for updating the default hashing algorithm
> in future releases of PHP.
>
> * Any new algorithm must be in core for at least 1 full release of PHP prior
> to becoming default. So if scrypt is added in 5.5.5, it wouldn't be eligible
> for default until 5.7 (since 5.6 would be the full release). But if jcrypt
> (making it up) was added in 5.6.0, it would also be eligible for default at
> 5.7.0.
> * The default should only change on a full release (5.6.0, 6.0.0, etc) and
> not on a revision release. The only exception to this is in an emergency when
> a critical security flaw is found in the current default.
> * For a normal (non-emergency) change in default, an RFC shall be issued for
> the update of the default algorithm, following normal RFC rules.

So technically I don’t think it would be necessary to have an RFC to add
another algorithm, though I think it might be nice as this is certainly a place
where things shouldn’t be changed willy nilly.

> It won't be changing the default in 7.1, and IIRC this sort of change
> was already agreed upon as part of the original password_hash() RFC.

I’m not really qualified to discuss the merits of the algorithm but a couple of
questions:

* Is there already a crypt scheme for Argon2? Or are there any efforts to
define one? It would good if PHP wouldn’t be an island.
* Back in July, when it won the PHC, it wasn’t deemed production ready as they
wanted to make a few tweaks. Is that completed?
* Are you proposing to use Argon2d or Argon2i?

Lastly, I think it would be a good start to implement Argon2 in ext-hash.

Best regards
Rouven