Actually setting the top bit is not an issue. The transformation unicity shall
be ensured for the tailing bytes only which are shifted to the left maximum
7(on 64bits)/3(on 32bits) positions; so they will never reach the top byte and
setting the top bit will not harm in terms of tailing bytes.

> Imho the strongest reason against the patch is the dependency
> between the hash function and the key validation method but I have the
> impression that this is not be the most dirty hack deployed ever in PHP;
> and I don't know very well what is the degree of compromise acceptable
> for 1% speedup :-)
Otherwise the concerns about the quality of the hash function and the intention
to change it with SipHash or something else, I am afraid it will not bring much
in terms of collisions reductions; the issue here is the fact that hash bucket
selection uses only the last few bits of the hash value. Not sure how much
could help here SipHash...
Just for defending the technical feasibility of this POC I think that injective
transformation for last tailing bytes could be deployed over theoretically any
hash function.

Thanks,
Bogdan