Hi all,

Remember my question about ??= operator?

Forgive my rookieness and let me introduce my first RFC here:
https://wiki.php.net/rfc/null_coalesce_equal_operator
<https://wiki.php.net/rfc/null_coalesce_equal_operator>

Let me also include here the introduction I wrote:

Combined assignment operators are around since 1970's, appearing first in the C
language. Consider the following code $x = $x + 3 that has the ability to be
shortened into $x += 3. Hence PHP is a web focused language, ?? operator is
used to check something's existence like $username = $_GET['user'] ?? 'nobody';
However due to common variable names are much longer than $username the use of
?? self assignment, creates repeated code.
$this->request->data['comments']['user_id'] =
$this->request->data['comments']['user_id'] ?? ‘value’; It is also intuitive to
use combined assignment operator null coalesce checking for self assignment.

I am sure there would be some language mistakes, please also forgive me for
them too.

Currently I created a working implementation here:
https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/1795
<https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/1795> you can see a terminal working with
my implementation also here: http://imgur.com/zLlVFup <http://imgur.com/zLlVFup>

I hope I managed to write a simple and understandable RFC. Thank you all for
your efforts.

Best Wishes,

Midori Kocak
Computer Scientist & Engineer / ZCPE