> didn't read it was planned for all file functions.

Let's restrict my first suggestion only for "require" expression for now.
So proposal is following:

Rewrite "require" to throw an Error instead of current Fatal Error if some
file can not be loaded. This is fully BC and can be merged into 7.0 and
7.1, because it's impossible to catch a fatal error now. This will be
consistent with handling of eval errors - now we use the ParseError
exception instead of fatal errors.

In my opinion, all fatal errors should be replaced with exception throwing
(if possible), because it's more developer-friendly and allow us to handle
failures gracefully, invoking finally, destructors, etc.