On 17/06/16 11:15, Rowan Collins wrote:
> Do we really trust our future selves so little that we are incapable of
> planning more than 6 months ahead?

A practical example of the problems of upgrading is perhaps the time it
takes for public services to get updated. Many of my council customers
were still trying to get through their testing phase to switch to W7
when XP was end of lifed and some systems still run XP simply because
money is not available to replace the perfectly functional hardware. We
need long term stability for big installations.

One can not 'plan' for the replacement of working systems, and as has
been indicated migration to PHP7 is an ongoing process. BC is
essentially a matter of can my current code run without change on the
new server. The easy answer is NO since much of it still can't run on
PHP5.4 so moving to any PHP7 system is academic. It is pointless my
testing every new build of PHP7 as I still have to finish the migration
to a later PHP5.x but once the current migration has been completed then
one would expect that having tested on a current PHP7.0.x one does not
have to worry too much about retesting on every new version? Many of the
BC breaks being discussed do only relate to 'new' developments or edge
cases which will not have the same impact that the PHP5.4 changes did,
but they should all be packaged in the one stage rather than being
spread across several builds?

While PHP7 is still 'unstable', I think I am still sensible working
legacy code up to PHP5.6 and eliminated all previous versions before
starting the migration to PHP7?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL