Everytime I see a thread mentioning session.use_strict_mode I'm
wondering why we haven't got around to enable it by default (by means of
php.ini-development/php.ini-production ).

Maybe someone can step forward and propose this change for the next
version (not 7.1 ...)?

It could be documented as a breaking change, refer to the documentation
and finally call it a day :-)

- Markus