Hi all,

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 12:24 AM, Rowan Collins <rowan.coll...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19/08/2016 16:12, Pierre Joye wrote:
>>
>> I am against removing them, now or in 8.x. this is the kind of things that
>> makes migrations painful. They are broken on some cases? Fix them maybe?
>

> The thing that is broken about the functions is not the functionality, but
> the name.
>
> I suppose you could change them to recode Windows CP-1252, which is more
> common than latin-1 and mostly compatible with it, but that still breaks
> European sites using ISO 8859-15 (latin 9), and frankly would just further
> reinforce the common misapprehensions around "extended ASCII" and "decoding
> UTF8".
>
> What do you think of making them aliases of the new names latin1_to_utf8 and
> utf8_to_latin1? We needn't even deprecate the old names, but at least it
> would draw more attention to what they actually do?

I agree the name is problematic, not what it does.
Having aliases is good solution.  It worked well in pgsql module. Old
names are still usable and I think almost all codes use new names now.

I'll update the RFC to have aliases rather than removing. Since these
are XML module functions, the name would be xml_latin1_to_utf8() and
xml_utf8_to_latin1(). Suggestions for names are appreciated.

Regards,

--
Yasuo Ohgaki
yohg...@ohgaki.net